Re: Pinion Oil Seal

To: <kenowens@mchsi.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pinion Oil Seal
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:04:55 -0600
Ken, its pretty straightforward particularly since you may have the early diff
(which should have the castellated nut securing the pinion flange.  It should
come off fairly easy since its not a press fit, and after you replace the
seal, you simply tighten the nut down to spec.  Later versions with the big
nyloc nut use a crush washer to set pinion preload, so its trickier.  One
major cause of leaks is that the seal tends to wear a groove into the flange,
so the key is to use crocus cloth on the flange to clean it up.  If you still
feel ridges with your fingernail, go with the speedi-sleeve, otherwise you
should be ok.  I have used the rubber seal with success, but the leather one
should work ok.  Most recommend that the leather seal soak in oil at least
overnight before installing to soften it up.  BTW, hopefully you meant to say
that Bentley said to remove the "differential", not the "transmission".  I
dont have my Bentley handy, but removal of the transmission is not required.
Good luck.

John - 1976 TR6

Ken wrote:>
I have a differential with an above average leak at the pinion oil seal.
Bentley lists this as a 6 step procedure with 2 of the steps being the
removal
and replacement of the transmission. Sounds to easy!!!  Ordered a replacement
seal today from BPNW and an wondering if there are any tips I should know
about before attemping the replacement.