Re: steering rack bushings

To: jay_welch@juno.com
Subject: Re: steering rack bushings
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 12:40:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 20 May 2003 jay_welch@juno.com wrote:

> Hi Todd,

[good stuff deleted for brevity]

> When I installed mine, the bushings did not grip the rack very well.
> BPNW suggested slicing about 1/8" from the bushing so it would squeeze
> the rack tighter.  In order for this to work I also had to place a 1/8"
> shim between the bushing and the frame to squeeze it tighter.

Eeeek! Be careful here. Putting any shim under the steering rack will
alter the steering geometry. By putting small spacers in here, you are
increasing the amount of "bump steer" that you get. While this isn't
likely to have "horrific" results, it can make the car harder to "turn in"
and that sort of thing.

Spacing the rack is a last resort thing!!!

> Works fine now.
>
> Good luck,
> Jay in MA

regards,
rml (in MA too!)
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |