Re: steering rack bushings

To: jay_welch@juno.com
Subject: Re: steering rack bushings
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 12:51:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 20 May 2003 jay_welch@juno.com wrote:

> Hi Bob,

Hi.

> I can understand your logic here Bob but I really think the change of
> geometry is miniscule since the clamps still bottom out on the frame and
> the shim is just replacing the material removed from the bushing.  You
> could probably also wrap a shim material around the rack prior to fitting
> the bushing.

Well, when you get into trying to optimize the front suspension geometry,
1/8 of and inch is a LOT of change. As a point of reference, the real
racers will replace the tie-rod ends with heims joints. They drill out the
steering arm to accept a bolt and then shim the heims joint up/down with
washers that are in the .020 - .060 range to get the bump steer as small
as possible. That's 1/6th to 1/2 the amount of steering rack hieght change
that you are referring to.

In this instance, 1/8 (.125) of an inch is a lot.

> Cheers,
> Jay

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |