Re: steering rack bushings

To: red_tr250@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: steering rack bushings
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:43:10 -0400
Hi Todd,

I just replaced mine with urethane from BPNW.  It was suggested that I
turn the steering wheel hard to the right and tighten the left clamp.
Turn the steering wheel hard to the left and tighten the right clamp.
Have someone hold the steering wheel in those positions while you tighten
the respective clamp.

PS - don't lose the button on the right side of the rack under the
bushing.  It was apparently designed to stop a harmonic vibration at
certain speeds.

When I installed mine, the bushings did not grip the rack very well.
BPNW suggested slicing about 1/8" from the bushing so it would squeeze
the rack tighter.  In order for this to work I also had to place a 1/8"
shim between the bushing and the frame to squeeze it tighter.

Works fine now.

Good luck,
Jay in MA