Alignment, steering wheel centering - Mistakes and questions

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alignment, steering wheel centering - Mistakes and questions
From: "Ken Davis" <ken.davis@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 12:15:45 -0700
hi list,

you can add this to the list of things I wish I didn't do... category.
Founds out why my indicator returns were erratic; the steering wheel /
indicator cam were quite off center.  So on a nice Thursday afternoon, I
pulled the wheel, centered the can, replaced the wheel in a centered position.
So far, so good.  test drive.  Ah-ha, car veers considerably to the right...
Ah, can fix that, loosen one steering tie rod, tighten the other, the wheels
will move back toward center.  Okay, now meathead, think about this.  count
the turns you make on each; don't just go twist, twist, twist...   Too late
now...

So I spent a lot of Friday twisting them again... this time with chalk marks,
tape measures and attention to detail...   I think I've got them pretty close
again..  Across the back of the tires is within 1/8-1/4 of the distance across
the front.

Question for the list, for toe in, is this close enough for these cars or
should I tweak it some more?

Now a 2nd question, is it camber or castor, think it's camber..  When I hold a
plumb level vertically down the tire rim, the tires are out of true vertical
by about 1/4-plus inch (bottom out further)..  Is this acceptable?  I didn't
touch the suspension geometry (did I?) so this should be as before, but does
this 1/4 inch variance fit within tolerance?

Should I go Oh sh*t, and find a shop which can align all for me, or should I
just look for odd tire wear, and adjust then?

Thanks

Ken

So San Francisco

73 TR6