Re: Rough idle REDUX; status report

To: <Mickylong@aol.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rough idle REDUX; status report
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:45:09 -0600
Micky, ISTR that the 72 uses a lower vacuum fitting that goes to a
thermoswitch and then on to the distributor vacuum advance.  I cant be sure,
but you should get some kind of vacuum from this fitting.  If not try a higher
engine speeds. If you get nothing at all at any speed, then in all likelihood
it could be plugged up.  Later cars have a fitting on top of the rear carb
that is used for the EGR valve, but ISTR that this fittling doesnt noormally
produce much vacuum at idle.  But if you are trying to check vacuum for
diagnosis putposes, the intake manifold is the most accurate.  You probably
have a port coming off the intake manifold itself.  On later cars there is a
fitting that supplies vacuum to the brake servo as well as a fitting to the
charcoal canister.

John - 1976 TR6

Micky wrote:>
Been following your troubles with interest since it seems like I have much
the same issue with my 72.  I just checked spring length and found one at 5
1/2
and the other 5 3/4.  Ordering new ones today to see if that can fix the
trouble.  I also found on mine that I could not get ANY vacuum reading at the
rear
carb port. Not sure what I'm dealing with there.  Will be interested to see if
the new springs fix the idle problem.