Re: Gearbox - a couple of remaining issues

To: mcreamer@earthlink.net (Mark Creamer)
Subject: Re: Gearbox - a couple of remaining issues
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:47:19 -0700 (PDT)
Mark---
2. The reason for the two dowel pins is to perfectly align the bell
housing to the engine back plate. There is a bit of clearance between
the 5/16" bolts and the holes they go thru, allowing for non-concentric
alignment between the clutch pressure plate and the throwout bearing.
Not much, mind you, but we're looking for a non-squealing mating.

It's still possible to have stumbled on a good alignment without the
dowels. But since your tranny cover is not yet on, I would see if these
two pins can be tapped thru their openings at the designated points,
according to the sketch. The bolts occupying their spots will have to be
first removed, of course.  I recommend doing this.

Dick