Re: Best paint color change strategy?

To: "Kronberg, Peter" <peter.kronberg@hp.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Best paint color change strategy?
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:42:03 -0400
At 9:03 AM -0500 8/21/03, Kronberg, Peter wrote:
"Now, I've heard it both ways- "the only way to repaint correctly is to
take the car down to metal" and "if you currently have a decent paint-job,
you can take advantage of it's good adhesion to the metal by scuffing it
and painting right over"

Like many things, the answer is "It depends." There are compatibility
issues with paints, so be careful what you paint over what. Taking the
paint off will allow you to find poorly patched bodywork (How would I
know?).

No matter what you do, look carefully at the car and all the surfaces that
are painted and think about re-spraying all those surfaces with the new
color. What are you willing to skip and will it bother you to find the old
color hiding in the odd spots you don't repaint? It's for this exact reason
that I don't like changing the color of a car.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (26 year owner)