Re: Best paint color change strategy?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Best paint color change strategy?
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:18:10 -0400
I started out the same way -- trying to avoid taking the tub off the
frame. It's not that hard unless you are working alone.

My advice is to find a body shop that does restorations. My body guy
(Roger Martin) never did an LBC before but has spent years doing street
rods -- sheet metal is sheet metal, tubs are tubs, frames are frames.

Strip the paint for a better job. Roger said he could remove any
waviness in the finished paint easier if he stripped it to the metal. He
goes down to the metal and then uses plastic to fill the dings etc. Then
primer. He does them all that way. They are perfect. Look like new cars.
  There can also be rust lurking under the paint about to bubble
through. I was shocked at what he found. I would never have guessed the
rust was there. When I saw that, I decided going to the metal was the
best decision Roger made me make. I would never do a restoration any
other way. Way too much work in a restoration to not do it.

Plus you will get a good look at the frame, and will be able to get at
the bottom of the tub. How are you going to finish/reach the bottom of
the tub especially above the differential?

I'm the originl owner of a TR250 with 60K mikes. I was sure the frame
was perfect, and I looked closely, but after the frame was off, we saw
evidence of rust under the cruciform. Had to take it off and repair it.

If you're paying for the body work it will be easier (cheaper) in the
long run to take the tub off. There's not much to it. It's a much better
job.

Everyone told me to take the tub off. I resisted. I was wrong. I'm very
glad we took it off.

Cost is about $4K-$5K. I started out thinking I was going to get it
painted for $1K. It's not going to happen. You probably don't want it to
happen either.

Don Malling