Re: Time Traveler

To: "Mark Creamer" <mcreamer@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Time Traveler
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:28:07 -0700
Mark,

I also think the Honda S2000 is a remarkable car.  I haven't had the
pleasure to drive one, but it must be fun going through the gears, revving
the engine to 9000RPM where possible.  The S2000 engine's specific power
output is very high and I think it does 0-60 in something like 5.6 seconds.
Yes, it has only 4-cylinders and I can't even hear one when it goes by,
especially above the sonorous tone of my 6's pipes, but I believe some
people tend to slight certain popular cars as "sole-less" when, let's face
it, no car has a sole.

Cars do, of course, touch the soles of we humans, which is a wonderful thing
for many of us.  I find it interesting to note which cars are demeaned by
many aficionados.  Most of them are made in Japan, and typically sold in
relatively large numbers because so many people like them well enough to buy
them. I believe that their huge success and resulting lack of exclusivity
render them undesirable to those who like to be noticed for being unique.
Mustn't it be that only very few people can possess the wherewithal and
intelligence to recognize which cars are really special, those cars with
sole?  I do not mean to pick a fight with these people as I am a firm
believer in the adage, "to each his own".  However, the usual description of
those vehicles which do not have a sole includes the term "cookie-cutter
cars".  Whether the cutter is used to make one-dozen cookies or a
thousand-dozen cookies, if all the dough is good, so are all of the cookies.
By the way, I cannot say that the attention afforded one who drives a
remarkable and rare car is unpleasant, and I plan to drive mine for a long
time.

So, some time from now when Honda S2000's have been thinned by wear and
rust, there will be the same sorts of people who want them then, as who now
want MG's, Spitfires and even TR6's.  They will include old guys who
couldn't buy them when they were new for whatever reason, and the young
people who find romance with a machine produced in times perceived to have
been simpler and, somehow, maybe better.

Gary
'73