RE: Door tonneau snaps

To: "'Gary R.'" <gary@tpartners.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Door tonneau snaps
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 08:32:32 -0400
Gary,
For the male snaps no other "tool" is needed but I recommend using a
metal spacer between the snap and the rivet gun. I use the top of a used
spark plug (unscrewed from the terminal end) cut in half. I have no idea
what the "T" shaped piece that you refer to is.
The snap tool should consist of a nylon block with a concave side and a
metal "punch". This tool is used for the female snaps. The head of the
snap fits in the concave recess of the block. Then the material and the
female part of the snap fits over the metal tube extending up from the
snap head. The punch is then placed over the center of the snap and hit
a time or two with a hammer to flatten out the metal over the female
part of the snap to hold them together.

Hope this clears up some of the mystery,

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

Like the good customer I am I ordered all new snaps for my freshly
painted 74 TR6 and have them all laid out with new rivets, "special"
tool, and rivet gun. What I don't get is what I'm supposed to do with
the two piece assembly for the doors. I appears the small, (inner?)
T-shaped piece goes inside and below the actual male snap, but its not
obvious to me. Also, I have this neato two piece manual "snap tool" but
haven't a CLUE what its for! Ok, that was two questions...

Can anyone guide this lost soul?

Thanks!
Gary R.
74 TR6