Re: Dumb valve cover gasket question/problem

To: pleask@shaw.ca (Pat Leask)
Subject: Re: Dumb valve cover gasket question/problem
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 14:10:13 -0800 (PST)
Pat---Some of these cork gaskets are a real pain to fit, appearing too
large for the channel n the cover, etc. I once made the mistake of
trying to shorten the circumference by a tad, hoping it would then fit
properly. While it's possible to fit some gaskets this way, the result
wasn't so good, as oil leaked out diagonal splice.

Since then, I have taken to use the WellSeal product, applying it to
both the gasket and channel, and letting it sit for an hour or so. When
dry enough to turn over to contact the head, I then apply the same
sealant to the head. After running the three (not nyloc) nuts down
finger-tight, a final two complete 360 turns on these nuts will compress
the cork enough to make a leak-free seal. (Sometimes one can even take
off the cover again and re-use the gasket, by doing the seal on the head
again.

Going thru the above exercise, or something similar, is what is
prompting many to go to the silicone gasket, now available for the TR6.

Dick