Knock off hammers

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Knock off hammers
From: "Rex Townsend" <rrt@connectexpress.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:08:42 -0800
Happy New Year to you all,
        I thought that I'd throw in my 2 cents on the subject of proper hammers
for
wire wheels.  Although my 69 TR6 has disk wheels, I previously owned two
Healeys that had wires.  Both cars came with Thor brand hammers that had
copper faces on both sides.  I found that the knock offs were a bit beat up
due to hammering from the copper-faced hammers, and I had the knock offs
reground to clean them up and replated.   What I wound up doing was putting
the Thor hammers in the cars' trunks to look good, and I made a new hammer
to actually use on the knock offs with a head made out of 2" copper pipe
filled with lead, with a handle made out out of 1/2" galvanized pipe.  I
used lead from tire balacing weights, melted in a coffee can on the stove.
I made a form that allowed the lead to protrude a little from the copper
pipe on each side.  Once the hammer had actually been used on a knock-off,
it flattened out and a larger lead surface was avilable to contact the knock
offs.  I used the lead hammer for many years, I found that it was very
effective due to its weight and it did absolutely no damage to the
knock-offs.

Rex Townsend