Re: Good Machine SHop in MA

To: "Darcy Hunter" <darcyhunter@comcast.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Good Machine SHop in MA
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:42:43 -0500
Darcy,

Speaking specifically about shops, just make sure they have extensive
experience with smaller foreign engines.  As good as a shop may be, if they
have no or minimal LBC experience I really do not want them honing their
skills with my motor.  Secondly, I don't know why, but shops that do mostly
Detroit iron have a hard time understanding tight tolerances.  You can't
believe how many times I've heard, "Oh, we put  0.xxxx inches of clearance
on our racing motors.  You really do not need anything tighter." even though
I'm dangling factory specs and Kas's Comp Manual in front of them.

There are surely other opinions about buying rings and pistons, but the ones
I hear the most about are Total Seal (gapless) and Deves.  I don't know if I
would go with anything else no matter what I was told.

Remember, you only want to do this once, so "choose wisely."

Greg Dito
CD6250L