RE: header choices

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Subject: RE: header choices
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:32:03 -0700
If you haven't done some flow improvement on the head or gone past an S-2
style camshaft, then you might not see much extra performance from a header.
There would be some but you might notice the increase in underhood temperature
and the increase of the sound level at all rpm's more than a significant power
increase.
 You've already taken care of a big flow problem by switching to the dual
manifold and the twin sports system vs. the stock single pipe of a '71. I used
to have the basic Twin Sports System on my stock dual manifold before I went
wild with my engine and was very pleased with it's performance. And the sound
was great!
 If you do decide to go to a header though, the only one that will bolt right
up (and you still might have to have custom connectors made)to the Twin Sports
System would be the Rimmer unit designed to go with it.
 From what I have heard, the S/S Headers from Rimmer are very well made and
should bolt right up with no modifications needed. Any other header would most
likely require a trip to the exhaust professionals to mate up your header to
the rest of the system.
 As it has been discussed before on this forum, you really get what you pay
for with headers. That is, the more expensive, the less likely you are to have
fittment issues. Which can include but is not limited to, interference with
the intake manifold, oil pan and starter. I have seen all of these problems on
the Moss mild steel system(intake manifold interference)as well as the
Pacesetter(oil pan and starter interference). I don't think the Moss mild
steel ones need custom connectors though, they might bolt right up.

Shawn J. Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.loseke.net/shawn

>===== Original Message From Lizirbydavis@cs.com =====
>Hi listI have the head off of my '71 TR6 because of a failed head gasket.  I
think I'll seize the opportunity and put on a tubular header.  I have the
stainless "twin sports" system from rimmer bros. with a later dual outlet
stock cast exhaust manifold.  Does anyone have opinions about header options?
The most obvious option would seem to be the Rimmer Bros. SS header that was
designed to go with the system. I could buy a pacesetter or other 6-1, but I
would have to revise the exhaust system and have it powder coated. Moss has a
mild steel header that looks like 2 pairs of 3-1.  This might work well with
the dual exhaust.  The stainless steel options are all expensive.  Should they
be ceramic coated as well?  Are there brands that are consistantly superior in
regard to fit, performance and longevity?   I want something that won't
require anything more than basic port matching.  I've heard horror stories
about cutting and rewelding tubes.  I don't have the skill for that. Th!