J-type questions...

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: J-type questions...
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:14:49 -0800
    Folks:

    I asked the list about output flanges on j-type overdrives. I have a
Volvo j-type with a small flange that I want to add to my 4 speed. I
have all the other needed parts, but need to make sure that I can
connect it to my driveshaft.
    I sent a note to John Espisito asking if I could swap my existing
4-sp flange on to the OD. The answer is no, due to differing spline
counts (see his note below).
    If you have the larger Volvo output flange, you can modify it to
fit. This was not an option on my Volvo OD, so the easiest thing to do
is get a real TR OD flange. Rimmer and Quantum have them, but Greg Dito
offered me one from his spare parts stash (Thanks, Greg) at a good
price.
        So, I will be getting a real TR OD output flange, which *should*
be the last part I need to do the conversion.
        For those of you who are considering a similar upgrade, here is
what I have spent so far (prices include shipping):

        Volvo J-type OD, rebuilt        $110            4-Volvos, Salem
OR
        OD switch and plinth, used      $40             eBay
        OD Mainshaft, reconditioned     $110            Roadster factory
        Wiring harnesses                        $35             Moss
        Lockout Switch                  $12             Moss
        OD output flange                        $70             Greg
Dito
        OD-Tranny adapter                       $100            Quantum
Mechanics
                                                -------
                                                $477

        It took me more than a year to shag all the parts. In
retrospect, I probably should have just bought a complete tranny, but
then I would not have gotten to interact with my friends on the list
=:-)

        Thanks for all the tips and help everybody.

        Regards,

        Vance