Looking for info on switching to silicone brake fluid

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Looking for info on switching to silicone brake fluid
From: "Rex Townsend" <rrt@connectexpress.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 09:31:39 -0800
Hi all,
        Yesterday was a nice, relatively dry day in the Puget Sound region and I
thought that I might awaken my old "6" from its winter hibernation and take
a long winter drive.  What with a recent cold weather spell with a fair
amount of snow followed by lots of rain, it hasn't exactly been "top-down"
weather here.  Anyway, when I entered my garage, I was greeted with a large
puddle of brake fluid under the TR that has leaked out of the (brake) master
cylinder.  S#%&!  So, now it's time to rebuild the MC.  And of course, the
vacuum booster looks quite old and ratty, so maybe I should see if I can
have that rebuilt.  And of course this is a good time to replace those pedal
bushings that are worn!!!  But, the big question is...should I switch the
system over to silicone brake fluid?  The benefits of not running paint
remover in the hydraulic system are obvious, as well as not having a fluid
that absorbs moisture in this soggy climate.  I have read that all of the
seals in the system must be replace with new ones, so I'll be working at all
four corners of the car if I do this conversion.  But, a question...I
recently replaced all of my flexible brake hoses.  Do these have to be
replaced again if I switch to silicone fluid?  Also, are there some
recommendations on having the brake booster rebuilt?

Thanks for any thoughts that you might have on this!!!

Regards to all,
Rex Townsend - CC26713L
Bainbridge Island, WA