Adjusting Tach drive on Distributor

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Adjusting Tach drive on Distributor
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:45:00 -0800 (PST)
For the past several days I have been trying to adjust the tach drive pickup
point on my distributor to orient it more toward the firewall and less toward
the front of the car.  The reason is/was to reduce the angle and tension on the
tach cable when I advance the timing.  I have had the distributor and the cam
drive gear out 5 or 6 times and don't seem to be making any progress.  I moved
it counter clockwise about 10 degrees (or so I thought) and it wouldn't start
even though I adjusted it through the whole range available for adjustment.
The last time I moved it clockwise to counteract the previously mentioned
counter clockwise adjustment and had to advance the distributor even further
toward the front of the car than it was before I started this exersize in
futility.  Can someone suggest a simple method to accomplish my objective or
should I just get a longer tach cable?  All help is greatly appreciated.  TIA.
Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6