Re: Adjusting Tach drive on Distributor

To: mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com (michael lunsford)
Subject: Re: Adjusting Tach drive on Distributor
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:54:40 -0800 (PST)
Michael---I agree with what Vance wrote about the steps in relocating
the distributor drive gear, to get the distributor tach drive into a
more favorable angle. I would do one thing different, however, and it
would be thus: To get the oil pump drive dog into position to accept the
distributor drive gear, turn the oil pump by hand. This can be done with
a probe, such as a long screwdriver, as turning the cam and crankshaft
could negate the move you are trying to make with the distributor/rotor.

Sparkplug wires can be placed in several clock locations and still be in
time with the pistons. I think it looks neater when #1 plug wire leaves
the distributor cap when it's at or near 7 o'clock. This places the cap
clips parallel with the block, for easier cap removal. When all is
assembled, the tach cable will be at a favorable, soft working angle. It
will miss going over the fuel pump.

Dick