RE: Adjusting Tach drive on Distributor

To: "michael lunsford" <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Adjusting Tach drive on Distributor
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:41:05 -0800
 Mike:

        I am not sure how you are making the adjustment, but if you are
not moving the gear *underneath* the distributor, you are wasting your
time. Forgive me if I repeat what you already knew.
        You will need to remove the distributor (one bolt), and then
remove the adapter bolted to the block underneath the base of the
distributor (two bolts). After you do this, look down in the hole, and
you will see a gear about the size of a half-dollar(?). You can use a
magnet to CAREFULLY lift this gear, noting the orientation of the slot
in the top of the gear. The gear is helically cut, so it will rotate as
you lift it clear of it's hole and the camshaft.
        Once you have it clear, you can rotate it one tooth in the
direction you wish to move the distributor, and then lower it back into
the hole to mesh with the camshaft (it will rotate as you lower it back
in). It may not drop down all the way because it also needs to mesh with
the oil pump drive spindle which is underneath the gear. If this occurs,
you can rotate the crankshaft which will rotate the cam which will
rotate the gear until it mates with the oil pump and slips down into the
correct position. You can then reinstall the adapter, and then reinstall
the disti while rotating the rotor until it drops down fully into
position. Note that the slot in the top of the gear is what the
distributor mates with. This slot is NOT symmetric, so the distributor
will only fit into the gear one way.
        I hope that was clear. I got confused while writing it, and I
have done it before...

        Cheers,

        Vance