Fwd: British Mechanics Suck (cont.)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: British Mechanics Suck (cont.)
From: StuBeatty@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:38:52 EST
From: StuBeatty@aol.com
Full-name: StuBeatty
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:24:23 EST
Subject: Re: British Mechanics Suck (cont.)
To: pjgraffam@juno.com

The first week I owned my beloved 6, I took it to a reputable mechanic to
have all the fluids changed in the car, oil, coolant, etc. On the way home I
pulled into a plaza to buy something and noticed a long whet patch on the
pavement
coming from under my car across the parking lot and out onto the road. When I
looked under the car, oil was pouring out of the oil filter canister. I had
the car towed back to the mechanic to be looked at. It seems he did not take
the old "O" ring out of the block before putting in the new "O" ring. It was at
this time I decided I would learn as much about my car as possible and do as
many repairs as I could myself. I am not a mechanic nor have I had any training
in this field, but I just opened up my trusty manuals and started taking
things apart and repairing or replacing as necessary. Most of the work done on
my
car has been done by myself, and quite successfully I might add. The few times
I have had a mechanic work on the car caused me concern.

In the past year I have found what many people continue to seek for many
years. An honest mechanic who really knows his LBCs. This guy has worked
wonders
on my "new" paint job (that's another story in itself) and the engine. He is
assisting me in my current rebuild by coming over to the house at night and
working on the car in my garage with me.
His advice so far has all been right on and his prices are more than fair. He
just moved into town from the west coast and is setting up his own shop not
far away. I am sure he will be very successful.

Stuart
76 Carmine
Belleville ON