RE: External Gearbox

To: "'Harmon, Mike'" <mharmon@sces.org>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: External Gearbox
From: Peter Zaborski <plz@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:01:48 -0700

Mike,

I wouldn't disturb the plugs (it sounds like you have the later non-threaded
plugs). The small parts you ask about should just fall out, carefully tip
the cover upside down and shake gently. Do this on a surface where it will
be easy to find small pieces if they should fall out unexpectedly.

When it comes time to replace the shafts, make up a dummy shaft with one end
tapered to permit forcing the ball and spring into its recess, then once the
dummy shaft is in all the way, rotate it 180 degrees so the small pieces
won't come loose and push the real shaft in forcing the dummy out. It's
kinda hard to explain but if you look at a dummy shaft like the one I made,
I think it will be more clear.

<http://members.shaw.ca/plz/top_cover_shaft_tool.jpg>

You need to insert this from inside the cover with the tapered end leading,
that's why it's as short as you see in the photo. The real shafts are
inserted from outside the cover.

Doing it this way you don't mess up the factory settings (assuming the cover
is still unmolested) for the shift rod tensions.

Another thing to consider is using quad o-rings instead of regular ones.
Double the sealing surface. You'll want the #112 size (regardless of whether
you use regular or quad).

<http://www.marcorubber.com/quad_rings.htm>

HTH.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO