Re: Need some help

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Need some help
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:33:57 -0800 (PST)
The factory never mass-produced any GT6-convertibles (or Spit-6's,
depending on how you look at it), but I wouldn't be surprised if they
made a few prototypes just to try it out.  How could they resist??!!

That said, it's a very popular conversion.  My brother has one.  The
"right way" to do it is to put a Spit body tub (excluding hood, use the
GT6 hood) on a GT6 frame.  The GT6 frame apparently has a few
differences that make it a better choice.  The somewhat easier way is
to use a Spitfire and just throw the GT6 engine/tranny and hood on it.
And as someone else already mentioned, the TR6 engine has the same
dimensions, so that's fun too.  But the GT6 engine revs a bit more,
being of a shorter stroke, so it can be just as fun.

The important thing with any GT6 or Spit purchase is to get the right
rear-end suspension configuration.  Triumph did some cost cutting by
throwing in swing axles during some years, which are horrible if you do
any kind of spirited driving.  The best rear-end setup was the one with
the rotoflex couplings.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/