Play in driveline

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Play in driveline
From: "Fam Alferink" <pim.alferink@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:43:03 +0100
Taking the car for a spin today was a joy again.
However in the driveline there is a clear "engagement sound" when the clutch
is released (it has been there for a longer time but I never really paid
attention to it. This time I did because I was listening for noises after
having changed a switch on the gearbox and having the tunnel removed).
Could be the half-shafts, the diff, or any one of the U-joints I thought.
Checked the U-joints. All seem to be OK.
Having the car parked, I rotated the flange of the transmission. It turns out
that in total I can rotate about the flange 15 degrees with the wheels not
moving. Most of this slack appears to be in the diff.
What does list-wisdom think of this? Too much? Normal?
You can reply directly to me if you wish. I'll make a tally.
Pim