Re: Coating Tubual Exhaust Headers TR250/TR6

To: dmallin@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: Coating Tubual Exhaust Headers TR250/TR6
From: StuBeatty@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:05:09 EDT
I have heard many bad things about wrapping headers. They will keep  mositure
in as the pipes cool down, thus enhancing corrosion. Since our headers  run
just under the carbs, and fuel that drips when the car is parked, will land  on
the headers and will be absorbed by this material. I have heard of fires
started this way, rare but possible. I don't think the ceramic coating cuts
down
on the noise, but it is supposed to substanially reduce the heat.
Jet Hot is just another brand name for the genaric name ceramic coating.  I
have seen website calling their product, "Fireball Coatings,  Ceramikrome"...
it's all ceramic coating.
To get full effect this type of coating, you should also have the  inside the
headers coated. They use a special type of wand that sprays 360 deg  and draw
it through the header so that the entire surface of the inside is  coated.
Most companies however will not do this with used headers as the carbon
deposits will keep the coating from properly adhering to the surface.
Stuart Beatty