Re: Diff. bracket cracks

To: "Brian Yarborough" <bytr6@frontiernet.net>,
Subject: Re: Diff. bracket cracks
From: "Jeff Fetner" <fetnerj001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:33:02 +0600
Brian,
  I just had diff mount reinforcements welded in to fix a broken RF mount.
The "U" bracket was cracked completely across with the pin was loose at the
top as well.  The TRF kit (and the others I imagine) had 3-pieces per mount,
including a large steel washer to reinforce the top of the pin.  I was not
in a position (timewise and space-wise!) to take the body off.  The round
washer is probably supposed to go on top of the frame, but I hacksawed it in
half (leaving a 1/4'' strip out to allow for the weld bead) and located it
around the top of the pin against the bottom of the crossmember.  The pin
was re-welded to the bottom of crossmember, then the beef-up washer halves
to the crossmember, then the washer halves to the pin.
  It was effective, although not a pretty job, as the welding had to be done
overhead with the car on jackstands.  Just drove it yesterday and the mounts
were rock solid.  The other pieces of the kit boxed in the "U" bracket and
together it should hold until I get the body off sometime in the future.
But now I can accelerate with confidence (and in a straight line).  The
Williams "How to Restore Triumph  TR250 & TR6" book describes this on page
59.  I think it will be OK - the rest of the frame was amazingly solid.
   I didn't want to cut a hole in the body above the pin, but it can be
repaired that way to I guess.  The pinion leaks a little, but I left it
alone.  I replaced a diff pinion oil seal once (wasn't hard), but after it
was back up in the car it leaked twice as bad as the old one.  I've since
been told that you should use a speedy sleeve to get a really good seal.
Happy Easter and good luck!

Jeff Fetner
74 CF13816U