Diff. bracket cracks

To: 6-pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Diff. bracket cracks
From: Brian Yarborough <bytr6@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:41:57 -0400
Happy Easter and Passover to all;
I finally got the diff. removed. I had to remove one of the two ANSA exhaust
pipes, etc. Once the diff. was off, I could see that the crack had been
welded, albeit a kludge job; it looks like a big steel washer was welded to
the bottom of the bracket. It is solid, if ugly. However, the stud (this is
the infamous right front mount, remember) was loose. I realize that the
proper solution is to remove the bracket and redo the whole thing. Since I'm
going to start a complete body-off next fall and I want to drive it all
summer, I'm just looking to get it through until next fall.
The question is: 1. can I tack weld the stud (I can't get to the top of the
stud, the body is in the way) from the bottom to the bracket, 2. Do you
think there'd be any danger in waiting until the body is off and I can do a
proper job, removing the bracket, reinforcing it, etc.?
Also, how hard is it to remove the rear diff. cover and replace the gasket?
The diff. leaks from both the front and rear. I bought a new front pinion
seal and new rear gasket. How hard is it to replace the pinion seal?
What color is the rear cover? It looks to be plain aluminum. Was the front
part of the diff. painted black? (Might as well make it look as good as
possible, and it is already cleaned up.)
Is there anything else I should do to the diff. as long as it's out?
Thanks;
Brian Yarborough
1976 TR-6
CF55886UO