Forwarded: Good brakes, but not good enough &$^@#* deer!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: Good brakes, but not good enough &$^@#* deer!
From: <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 01:42:46 -0600
For some reason this was sent to me rather than 6pack@autox.team.net.
If your internet access is web-capable, check out

  http://www.team.net/posting.html

mjb.
----

     Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:28:14 -0700 (PDT)
     From: Ryan Miles <rjhmile@yahoo.com>
     Subject: Good brakes, but not good enough &$^@#* deer!

List,

    This is a sad day in the Miles household.  Where there was once a
TR6 and a TR250, there is only a TR6.  Bambi (temporaroly) claimed the
life of my '68 TR250.  To make matters worse this is the car that I
spent all winter preparing for SCCA Solo II racing.  I replaced the
rusty frame with a *perfect* chassis that I had rebuilt.  I also
installed my 11:1 compression street/race engine.  I put in many hours
of work over the winter and its really frustrating to see the big boo
boo on the front now.  I suppose its really not as bad as it could
have been!  I was going about 50 mph (in a 55 zone), and I was
probably only 1 mile from my house...the engine wasn't even completely
warmed up from after doing some final carb tuning.  The deer came
running out from the left side of the road, and after braking as much
as possible, and steering as far to the right as the road would
allow, Bambi struck the front left fender just as I dropped the right
tires off the road.  I pulled back onto the road, and sat stunned,
cursed, and turned off the engine in time to hear the deer get up and
walk away.  The MF didn't even die.  I'm really glad I saw it when I did,
or I would have piled into it head on, and really done some damage!
On further inspection it looks like the frame is still Ok, and there
is no damage to anything related to the engine.  In the end I'm just
glad that Bambi didn't flip over the windsheild and injure my dad or
myself.

Here's hoping that Nation Wide is worth the premium,
Ryan Miles