Re: cam break in?'s

To: vance.navarrette@intel.com
Subject: Re: cam break in?'s
From: StuBeatty@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:42:00 EDT
Vance, where were you when I rebuilt the engine in 1997. Never mind I  didn't
have a computer back then.
In 1997 when I last rebuilt the engine, I did not follow the  instructions
you have posted here.
Last summer the car started to run like $#!%. I started to pull things  apart
last fall, thinking it was the valves (only 20 lbs comp in#1 cylinder).  When
the head was off I noticed the lobes of the cam were pitted. I didn't want
to pull the cam as it only has about 25000 miles on it. The engine is still in
the car. My mechanic strongly recommended we pull the cam and have a look at
it.  Much to my amazement the number one lobe was almost round. This reground
cam  lasted approx 25000 miles. I was incredably disappointed. I also used the
 original lifters which were midly pitted. I guess my experience was a study
of  what NOT to do.
This time I will do it properly. The last 5 years and participating in this
list have been a great education. Any TR6 owners who do not subscribe to this
list are missing out on a very valuable resource you will not find anywhere
else! And it's more than worth $5.00 a year to keep it going.
Stuart
76 Carmine
Belleville ON