Brake problem

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake problem
From: "STEVE STERN" <MACHINEMD@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:02:51 -0400
So I took my "new to me" TR6 for a quick ride today and experienced a problem
that was described by the previous owner as a one time event last fall. After
braking I noticed that I was getting no coasting, the front brakes were
dragging heavy and the brake pedal had no play. I cracked the primary brake
fitting just a hair at the master cylinder, got a squirt of fluid out,
tightened it, and the brakes were fine for the rest off the five mile drive. I
did the same with the secondary fitting and got no blow off of pressure. I get
the feeling that it is the master cylinder, either the primary plunger failing
to back off, or the tipping valve failing to open. Any thoughts from the
experienced minds? I remember reading a post about a broken spring but can't
locate it. Is this a possibility here? Overhaul candidate or straight repair?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Steve