Single vs dual exhaust -- Vizard and mufflers

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: Single vs dual exhaust -- Vizard and mufflers
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:22:04 -0400
Hi Vance,

I believe that two pipes will flow less than 1 pipe when the cross
sectional area of the two is the same. Fluid flows faster at the center
of the pipe than at the edges. You can see this by watching water flow
down a river. It flows faster at the center than near the shore. It's
even more noticeable if the water is very deep in the center.
Calculating the flow through a pipe is one of the classic problems in
Differential Equations -- which kind'a sums up all I remember of
Diffy-Q. Other than the professor who had mercy on me :-). Exactly how
it applies to air in an exhaust system is quite beyond me.

In which of Vizard's books does he discuss Dyno-Max mufflers?

In Vizard's Tuning the A Series Engine he provides the following table.

Air flow in CFM @ 25 Inches water

Peco MO/2            121.8
Peco MO/4             80.4
T.I. AN 181 T        112.3
RC40                 195
Metro Race Systems   170
Unipart 1275          84.5
Unipart Cooper        86.7
Cyclone Sonic Turbo  330
Maniflow System      209

Looks like Cyclone Sonic Turbo is a no brainer. He says APT sells them.

Anyone had any experience with them? I have not checked with APT yet.

Don Malling