rear suspension noise

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear suspension noise
From: "Eric Myracle" <eric_myracle@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:09:51 -0400
Hello list.  When I take off from rest hard or accelerate hard in
first gear (or, strangely, if I accelerate when in 4th gear at an
EXTREMELY low speed) in my '70 I hear clicks and  pops from the rear
suspention.  It sounds very similar to the noise a front wheel drive
car makes when the CV joints are going bad,  It has gotten MUCH more
noticeable over the past couple of days.

A bit of research suggests the rear axle u-joints, the rear hubs, worn
differential mounts, or cracked differential mount brackets.

Which of these sounds like the most likely culprit, and which, if any,
can I handle myself?

thanks,

Eric