Re: Timing Questions

To: jimmble@adelphia.net (James Franks)
Subject: Re: Timing Questions
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:55:46 -0700
Hi, Jim---What I've run into while getting my '73 to pass the emissions
test here in Ca. must vary from State to State. (Possibly even station
to station?) At the stations I took my own car, the only thing checked
at the tail pipe was the HC and the CO readings. NOx, said to be at its
best with timing retarded at idle, was never considered. When
questioning the owner of the station, he mumbled something about "we do
the NOx on new cars". I left well enough alone!

Typically, engines that "run like crap" would be a good candidate to
fail such a test.  Leaning out air/fuel mix at or below the ideal 14.7:1
was always my best shot. I left the timing at 10 deg. BTDC, retard
blocked) and always passed with room to spare. Fortunately, these guys
didn't know what emissions equipment came from the Triumph factory. All
they seem to care about, over the 14 years I had to go thru this, was
the tail pipe test.

Dick
L.A.