RE: Can't get my top up in cool weather

To: "'Navarrette, Vance'" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Can't get my top up in cool weather
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:06:53 -0400
Vance,
I've had 4 cloth tops recently for reasons I won't go into detail here,
but they fit much better and are much less resistant to shrinkage than
vinyl tops. The top to get, and I don't believe Moss or any of the other
big suppliers have it is Sonnedecke. This is the same material as the
BMW Z4 and other German high line cars use.
AA Best Co. has the best price and quality on tops that I've been able
to find. Their site is: http://aabestco.com/ and their price is about
$315.00

If you use them you MUST insist on three things:
1. TR6 1/4 windows sewn in rather than MGB heat welded windows.
2. Don't get the reflective stripe, that's one of the reason I've had 4
tops and they just can't get it right.
3. Ask them NOT to install the snaps. They are invariably not quite in
the right place.

The cloth tops are a bit more difficult to install as they don't stretch
equally in all directions, but after having quality cloth, I'd never go
back to vinyl.

My $.02,

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

        Folks:

        Had an annoying experience last night. I dropped by a friends
house
last night for a couple of hours. When I came out, it had gotten chilly
and it was starting to sprinkle.
        I decided to put the top up, and no matter how hard I pulled, I
couldn't get the top to close. The vinyl had stiffened appreciably in
the lower temperature and just wouldn't cooperate. I drove home with
droplets of water landing on my head hoping the clouds would not open up
before I made it into the driveway.
        This annoyed me no end. I am thinking of pitching my brand new
top
and going with a cloth one. The top has other problems too - zipper
broke the first time  used it, it had fitment problems when I installed
it, and now this. Bah!
        So, oh collective fount of wisdom: Will a cloth top perform
better than vinyl? I can get 20% off right now from moss and free
shipping if I order
before the end of the week. Please comment.

        Thanks,

        Vance

*