re: More emissions news

To: <phil@opentext.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: More emissions news
From: "Paul G. Edelstein" <pgedelstein@CapitalTriumphRegister.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 19:39:26 -0400
Phil,

You have the timing marks backwards.  The wide groove is TDC and the thinner
one is 4 ATDC. The engine turns clockwise when viewed from the front.  So,
your timing may be advanced by 4 degrees.  This should not be a big deal, but
you never know.  Remember to check it with the vacuum hoses connected (at
least that is true on my 71).

As to the dwell, yes it should be 35 degrees.  I'm surprised the car runs at
all at 55!  No surprise that it idles poorly.  Reset it (narrower point gap).
This requires LOTS of trial and error as the feeler gauge is not at all
accurate.  Better yet, install a Crane or Pertronix and never worry again.

Don't know if this will help you emissions test, but it sure won't hurt.

Cheers,

Paul E.
Annandale, VA
71 TR6 Damson CC67060