Re: More emissions news

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More emissions news
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:52:24 -0700
 Phil---The propane test is fairly reliable if you can direct it close
enough to a leak. Wiggle the shafts to expose any worn area, to be sure.

Is it possible that the "55" you looked at on the dwell meter was the
marking for a four cylinder engine? If so, this would be close to 37
deg. for a six, and close enough.  (I don't think one can get the point
gap this small as to register a dwell this long on a six, as it only
leaves five deg. for them to be closed).

With the vacuum line plugged, try setting the timing at 12 deg. BTDC.
(This should speed up the engine idle) Then reconnet the vacuum line if
desired.

For sure, the engine is hunting, if the span is 150 rpm at idle. If the
points gap and timing is correct, I'd look for an air/fuel mixture on
one or both carbs to be the cause. Other less likely causes might be
incorrect valve lash settings, or a vacuum leak thru the manifold
gaskets. (Do the propane test here, from underneath)
Let us know the outcome!

Dick
'73

From: phil@opentext.com(Phil Beckman) Date: Sat, I spent a while today
going over my car, mostly following the tips I was given by you folks on
tracking down my emissions problems.
Here's what I found:

-         Idle speed is erratic. I connected my dwell/tach (for
the first time in years) and found that the idle speed varies from 850
to 1000 RPM.
-         Timing is very confusing. There are 2 timing marks on
the flywheel. One looks slightly deeper and wider than the other. The
one that is shallower looks to be about 4 degrees ahead of the first and
looks to have the remnants of some yellow paint in it. The timing is set
so that the second mark (not the one with yellow paint) is about 4
degrees ATDC. Not sure what that means :-).

-         Dwell angle is 55. My book tells me it should be 35.
That doesn't seem right at all.

Any help or pointer on how to attack this problem would be great.
Thanks
Phil Beckman
73 TR6
Libertyvile, IL