RE: Frame coating

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Frame coating
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:07:32 -0400
I am also a big fan of POR-15. I started using it just this year on some
restoration projects and the description of "liquid powder coating"
seems appropriate. I also liked their metal ready product for removing
rust and preparing new metal surfaces for painting. I was less impressed
with the degreaser.

One hint, it comes in a can and it is a bugger to open and close. I
think the lid got pretty much destroyed after just a few uses. I
contacted the manufacturer and they suggested opening the can and
pouring the paint into a number of smaller sealable glass containers and
keeping it in the fridge (!). I went with the Mrs on a storage jar
shopping expedition and found some small storage jars for making jam and
I used a box of those to divide up the paint into smaller quantities.
May not be an issue if you are painting the whole frame and you plan to
use the whole can.

Also important to wear gloves and remove any paint that you get on you.
It is true what they say, if you don't remove it asap you will be
wearing it for the next week or so

Stan

I did POR-15 & coated the heck out of my frame.  Then
I scuffed it & painted it with the POR Chassis
black...man you can hit it with a hammer...no
chips...nothin'...looks great.  Seems a shame to put a
body on it:-))

My 2 cents,

Todd Bermudez