TR6 Hotwire to get home

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Hotwire to get home
From: <jfarris@troy.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:16:21 -0500
Our local Montgomery TR6 guru is out of town this weekend
and my son's car (73 TR6) is stuck someplace in Auburn.  I
would like to pick your brains.

As he left church this morning and stuck the key into the
ignition, the back side of the ignition switch fell off -
the plastic part with the wires attached to it.  The key is
still in the steering lock portion of the switch and it is
unlocked.  When he stuck a screwdriver into the plastic part
and turned, the starter would turn over, but the car
wouldn't start.

When I got home and looked in Dan McMaster's book, it
appears that if he will connect one of the brown wires and
the white wire from the back of the switch, that will power
the coil.  Are both brown wires hot all the time?  Then he
needs to momentarily connect the white/red wire to a hot
source to turn over the starter.  He could jump the leads at
the solenoid after he has the coil hot.  Looks like nothing
else will probably work if he has to resort to hot wiring
his car, but it will get it back to his apartment and then
home tomorrow.

Has anyone had to do this - see any problems with hot wiring
in this manner.  The plastic portion of the switch and the
wires are hanging down and convenient to work with.

Thanks for any help!
please respond to jimfarris@charter.net