Re: OT; OBO-II & bad gas

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT; OBO-II & bad gas
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:26:57 -0700
Ashford--- Rubbing alcohol can absorb some amounts of water in the fuel,
but it should be noted that we don't want the kind of alcohol that
already has a percentage of water already in it. (This percentage will
be included in the label) When mixing alcohol, water and gas, the
alcohol will blend with the water, and alcohol will blend with the gas.
When the three are mixed, the water will fall out of suspension and
enter the fuel system as water only. (I found this out when
experimenting with my water injection system).
Surprisingly large amounts of water can be tolerated by the engine
without misfire, so long as it is receiving an adequte amount of fuel at
the same time. Fuel injected engines may respond differently.

Dick

Ashford wrote:
(Triumph Email List) Subject: OT: OBD-II & bad gas
I ran into an issue while recently in Mississippi and thought some of
you might benefit from what we found out. Whoever said progress is a
good thing must not be familiar with how OBD-II operates on a Ford
truck. A neighbor has a brand new Lincoln pickup that came down with us
to the storm ravaged area. I was driving the truck several days later on
the coast, and noticed a miss. No problem, it was probably just some bad
gas right? We had taken down several hundred gallons with us due to fuel
shortages so this seemed very likely.
This continued for another day with no noticeable ill effects until we
left to return to Atlanta. The truck developed a major vibration which
was calmed noticeably by locking out overdrive. However, things began to
deteriorate to the point to where I was worried that the tranny was
going to fail. Now I appeared to have two issues: a bad transmission and
a miss. Two hours later in Hattiesburg, MS the diagnosis came back that
our only issue was we did indeed have water in our fuel, and not very
much at that. This is where OBD-II comes in.
OBD-II will sense an issue and then it, at least on Fords, will shut
down that cylinder. I'm not sure how many cylinders I got down to, but
the cure is simple.
1) The system will reset if you cut the vehicle off.
2) If you are in a disaster area and there is no more fuel treatment as
we were, then a bottle of

 rubbing alcohol (8 oz.) will suffice nicely.

Hope this helps,
R. Ashford Little II
'70 TR6 <http://www.ralittle2.com/>