Re: Triumphest 2005 News Update

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumphest 2005 News Update
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:09:08 -0700
Let not your heart be troubled that this event has been taken over by
the SCCA. They will do a fine job, and you'll be in the proper class.
There may be experienced drivers there, but the shoes from the East
rarely travel this far, unless there are major points involved.

I drove a course many years ago, set up in what once was called the
"Jack Murphy Stadium" lot. (I think it is officially Qual Com Stadium,
now where Triumphest will be racing)  My best was second place, which
was fine for me, as I never was much good at this sort of thing. (I tend
to get lost) There is a lot of room for the TR6 to stretch it's legs,
unlike some fhe other tighter courses, better designed for the cars with
shorter turning circles.

Anyway, it should be fun, Bill, so let's you and me give it a shot!
Bring Rosey?

Keep the rubber side down...

Dick Taylor
L.A.

Bill wrote:
So if someone like Richard Good or JK Jackson shows up, what do you do?
Do you _NOT_ run? SHeesh.
Since I have no idea who those two folks are, not a problem. Driving a
course set up for race cars (yeah they really are) with a stock TR3 does
not seem like a good idea.
    It just seems to be out of character for our own Triumphest
tradition. :-(
Never been to T fest, its a bit of a haul for me, but if you have $1k
"invested" in your trip so far, buy a set of hoosiers or kumhos and win
your class at that autocross. If you're cheap, but a set of Falken
Azenis tires - you could be running close to real race rubber for under
$400!
The point I was trying to make is the Triumphest (to me) has been really
a "fun" event, I have enjoyed every aspect of it and hate to see that
aspect of it changed. For the all out autocrossers it seems like a great
event, and I hope they enjoy it.
My opinion - FWIW - go to this event and you will be satisfied with how
the event is run and how all the details get worked out. Really.
My first event was a club race in Memphis, TN ... stock TR3 ... only
requirement was seat belts and a helmet, the only helmet I could find
was for a crop-duster pilot (rubber seals around the face) regardless I
won the under 2000cc class, not only once but several times. I didn't
even know you could not race on 48 spoke wires and Michlein X tires.
Casper (TR3) is pretty fast, and I have done well at previous Triumphest
autocrosses ... I just don't relish the thought of having to drive home
to Northern California with a damaged car.
regards,
rml
'73 TR6 F Prepared (at Solo II Nationals) and my budget for this event
is far, far more than $1k and that was just towing to KS from MA. =:-0
--
Bill Pugh
1957 TR3 TS16765L