Re: Triumphest 2005 News Update

To: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Subject: Re: Triumphest 2005 News Update
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:28:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Bill & Skip Pugh wrote:

> I think that was a HUGE mistake, Triumphest was/is/and always should
> be for Triumphs!! I have already spent close to $1000, 2 entries and
> 4 hotel, and while I was  happy to run at the Triumphest Autocrosses,
> I personally Don't look forward to running with the "big boys",

So if someone like Richard Good or JK Jackson shows up, what do you do? Do
you _NOT_ run? SHeesh.

Perhaps the "marketing angle" of the promo is off, but if the local SCCA
region is generally capable, you'll have a safe event with a course that
flows (easier to drive many different lines). As a person that has been
involved in running many, many autocrosses - this is very important to
retaining interest in the sport.

> translate that as "big money".

What's big money? Someone that has $60k in a TR2 restoration? Or someone
with a $2k spitfire and 1/2 of that is that tires? Really.

> It just seems to be out of character for our own Triumphest tradition. :-(

Never been to T fest, its a bit of a haul for me, but if you have $1k
"invested" in your trip so far, buy a set of hoosiers or kumhos and win
your class at that autocross. If you're cheap, but a set of Falken Azenis
tires - you could be running close to real race rubber for under $400!

:-)

My 1st autocross was at a british car club event. The pylons were empty
jugs of anti-freeze. The timing was done on stop watches. I had wanted to
autox for quite a while, but in a way I was dissapointed with that event.
Crap, they didn't even have a PA, so nobody knew what was going on. The
following year at the same event, they Brit car club hooked up with SCCA
for the event and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! First, I almost set FTD (missed by
about .2 of a second) but more importantly the course was easy to find and
there were some neat features in the course that you had to drive right. I
was totally hooked and started autox'ing as often as possible after that.

The point is - try to not think of "the big boys". Try to figure out what
YOU want to do and then perform within that frame of reference. You'll
have a lot more fun if you don't start every run thinking "I _need_ to set
FTD". Trust me, it's way more awesome when you just drive and you
_happen_ to set FTD. Trust me, I've been on both sides of the coin.

My opinion - FWIW - go to this event and you will be satisfied with how
the event is run and how all the details get worked out. Really.

regards,
rml
'73 TR6 F Prepared (at Solo II Nationals) and my budget for this event is
far, far more than $1k and that was just towing to KS from MA. =:-0
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx