Steering coupling replacement

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering coupling replacement
From: Mickylong@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:05:40 EDT
I'm in the middle of what has become the biggest PITA job in the  re-assembly
process to date -- replacing the rubber flexible steering  coupler.  I bought
a new one from TRF after destroying the old one in the  removal process.
However, it seems that the new one is a bit larger than  the steering shaft
making it (so far) impossible to line up the bolts for  re-assembly.  Has
anyone
else wrestled with this problem?  I thought  about using a large C clamp to
compress the coupler and hopefully line up the  bolt holes but thought I'd pose
the question here before getting too  aggressive.  I can see things getting
rather intense after a few more hours  struggling with this.  Any tricks from
the
group or is this just one of  those coaxing, cajoling, one more beer kinda
jobs?

Micky  Long
Atlanta