DIY on Speedos?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: DIY on Speedos?
From: Sean OBrien <saob_100@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:32:08 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Listers,

Today, I took my new Dan Master's Electrical
Maintenence Handbood to the garage and repaired 3
items that were on my Things-To-Do list.  The book was
great.  However, one of the items was the "high Beam"
indicator was not illuminating when the lights were in
high beam.  At first, it appeared to be the indicator
bulb, but once I put the new bulb in and looked at the
dash light (bottom of the speedo), it did not appear
to illuminate.  A few more steps, (use your
imagination) and now my "blue jewel" from the high
beam indicator is at the bottom of my speedo...
between the face of the instrument and the glass.  So
my question... if I remove the speedo can I remove the
glass and reinsert (super-glue) the high beam
indicator?  Will the gasget still be good?  Finally,
what might be the "black plastic kind of stuff" that
is sitting between the high beam bulb and where the
"blue jewel" is mounted?
I am looking for the brave soul that has tackled the
speedo, disassembled and re-installed per factory
expectations.  I would rather not send it away for
$250 to glue on the blue plastic thing-ama-jiggy.
Thanks in advance for the help... you guys are the
best.

Sean O'Brien
1975 Topaz TR6
http://www.triumphowners.com/679