RE: Wiring Woes..

To: "im sloane" <im_sloane@hotmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wiring Woes..
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:19:45 -0800
        Sloane:

        The wires for the seatbelts and occupant sensors will come up
under the
carpet from the driver's side. The wires run along the door sill in the
main
harness and separate from the harness at the intersection of the
driver's
door sill and the b-pillar. They then run under the carpet behind the
drivers seat, with the passenger wiring running up over the propshaft
tunnel,
still underneath the carpet.
        The driver seat wiring will make a 90 degree turn to run
underneath the
seat between the seat tracks and will come up underneath the seat to
connect to
the occupant sensor. There is a separate wire that makes a 90 degree
turn
at the tunnel to connect with the pigtail from the seat belt latch.
        Bottom line: Lifting the carpet behind the drivers seat should
show you
the wires.
        FWIW on my car the wires were stubbed off a few inches from the
driver's
b-pillar. I presume this was done to avoid issues with the interlock
crippling
the starter, as the warning module in the passenger footwell also had
it's wiring
modified to completely bypass the starter interlock. This of did nothing
to fix what I assume was the original issue: intermittent starter. What
discovered was that there was an intermittent open inside the engine
compartment
that would disable the starter, so I presume my DPO did all the hacking
out of
frustration. The open occurred at the Molex plug in the main harness
just in
front of the firewall below the vacuum booster. This plug exists on my
new harness
as well, and I am guessing that the factory used this to insert a hand
starter
into the wiring on the production line for testing. Then when the hand
starter was removed, the harness could be plugged back together. So my
DPO
hacked up the wiring harness and never did get his problem solved.
<Sigh>

        Vance