Master Cylinder Problems

To: Six Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Master Cylinder Problems
From: Rod Anderson <rod_anderson_99@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:00:54 -0800 (PST)
With the roads reasonably dry and the sun out here in Michigan, I planned to
take Old Blue (74 TR6) out for some exercise before the really cold weather
sets in. Backing down the driveway I experienced total brake failure.  No fluid
in the large (disk brakes) reservoir.

  There was some indicating of leakage below the master cylinder, so I decided
to recondition the MC;  I was planning on doing this soon anyway, and had a kit
on hand.

  Taking the MC off the car was straightforward.  Disassembling the MC was
something else.  For one thing, the Bentley manual doesn't mention that you
have to remove the tipping valve using a 1/2" hex key (which I fortunately had
on hand).     With the tipping value removed, one plunger and a spring came out
easily.  The second plunger remains firmly inside the bore, however.  There
seems to be spring pressure against some obstruction in the bore.

  Question:  how do I get the secondary plunger out?

  Many thanks for any assistance.

  Rod Anderson
  1974 TR6 Sapphire Blue