TR6 Clutch Job Recommendations - Thank you & Summary

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Clutch Job Recommendations - Thank you & Summary
From: Bruce Simms <brucesimms2003@yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:24:49 -0500 (EST)
        I want to thank the listers who gave generously of their time and
expertise to reply to my inguiry - in no particular order Bob Lang, Dick
Taylor, Richard Seaton, Aaron Cropley.  Apologies to anyone not mentioned.

  To Jonmac, my wish to "only do it once"  comes from a perspective that is
probably somewhat shorter than yours - both in time on this  planet and my 7
years of Triumph ownership.  Having just installed a beautiful new interior,
its sad to take it apart.  The clutch job was done 3 years ago by a mechanic
with British experience when the cars were new - so I'm blaming the parts
available when the job was done.  Original clutches can last a long time
according to some reports.

  The replies I received certainly support lightening the flywheel - providing
the machinist is well experienced with this job and he magnafluxes the flywheel
to check for cracks.  Bob Lang compares it to adding 20 hp.  Richard Seaton
provided the name of a machine shop well qualified for this job.

  Many of you will have seen the article "To Laycock or not to Laycock"by R
Keister?   I believe its at the Minnesota Triumphs website.   He is not fond of
available B&B or Sachs clutches.   He compares an original B&B with a new B&B -
quite different.   He says new B&Bs are actually designed for Saabs.  His
choices are 1) NOS or rebuilt originnal Laycocks and 2) NOS or rebuilt B&Bs.
Keister has done a number of clutch jobs that support his thesis.  He reports
no problems with NOS or rebuilt originals.

  He acknowledges that Nelson Reidel believes currently available clutches are
okay, with the exception of the release bearing.  As I undertand what Nelson
said, our clutch woes are more related to installation procedures and the throw
out bearings currently available.   I guess I'll understand the importance of
thr locating dowels when I get into this job.

  Roger Williams likes rebuilt Laycocks and blue spot B&Bs.   There is a
picture in his book of a special release bearing from Revington TR that is
phosporous bronze and is constantly turning.   Revington notes that the earlier
Triumphs did not have the 6's clutch woes.

  Not sure how B&B blue spots differ from other B&Bs made today.   Keister
didn't mention this.  Listers have mentioned the blue spots.

  The Roadster factory material say Gunst recommends Luk to go with his special
release bearing.   This is probably the way I will go.   Several listers
suggested that this clutch should be perfectly suitable for a 150 hp car.   I
understand B&B gives a heavier pedal but perhaps more clamping force.

  And of course the other items while you are in there.   clutch fork pin,
bushes, attention to engine and trannie seals etc.    The Motorhead website has
a list of this if anyone wants a checklist.

  Regards, Bruce Simms