Re: Body Tub Removal Questions

To: Cary Henry <caryhenry@hotmail.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Body Tub Removal Questions
From: ronald weber <rmweber_99@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:06:06 -0800 (PST)
Cary,
  I pulled my tub with an engine hoist, a load leveler, some pipe and lengths
of chain. Of course the interior was stripped and there were no doors, hood or
trunk lid so it was a little lighter.

  To do this, I braced across each door opening with a piece of 1" square tube
stock I had laying around and bolted it firmly to an existing hole in the top
of the B post and one near the top of the A post. I then cut a 10' length of
thick wall electrical conduit in half, and drilled a through hole in the exact
middle and holes 1/2"- 3/4" in from each end. I then attached three lifting eye
bolts to middle and both ends. I then attached 1 foot lengths of chain to each
of the end eyes using screw-coupling chain links. The load leveler was then
hung from the engine hoist. An 8' length of continuous chain was first run
through the leveler hanging from the engine hoist before both ends were
attached to the center eye bolts of each pipe in the same manner using the
chain links.

  The assembly was then wheeled over the car so the pipes were running
cross-wise over the cockpit. The ends of the short chain lengths were then
attached to some holes near the top of the A & B posts using some heavy S
hooks.

  Since all the bolts were already removed, I then slowly raised the hoist to
barely lift the chassis off the frame and adjusted the load leveler to level
things. From side to side it was balanced perfectly. I then raised the chassis
some more to clear the engine and suspension and wheel it away from the frame.
The tub was then lowered the tub on a couple of sturdy saw horses in the next
bay of my garage (wife wasn't happy about that one since that was were she
parked her car).

  Right or wrong, this is how I did it and it went very smoothly with no
problems or distortion..... My wife eventually calmed down too.

  Hope this helps!
  Ron W
  71 TR6

  oneTo lift it off the frame, I used an engine hoist with a load leveler on
it.

Yahoo! Photos