RE: TR6 - Engine Stalls

To: "'Steven Altomare'" <gtg124h@mail.gatech.edu>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 - Engine Stalls
From: "Robert Liam Gannon" <trsix74@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:53:13 -0500
Steve, you did a great job of describing the problem, your efforts to
correct and as we all do, a cry for help.

On my TR6, before I sold it, (Sniff) I had a similar problem. I found that
the fuel pump diaphragm was very old and looked like hell. Along with the
replacement kit came new check valves. I did all of it and ended up
resolving the issue. You see when the car is doing a ton down the road, the
pump is humping (yes that's what I meant) the cam lobe so fast that you are
building enough suction for the gas to come through the check valves and
into the float bowl. When coming to a stop in a fast manner, the engine
slows and so in turn the pressure drops. Your float bowls are never really
full at any point, but at speed you are getting just enough gas into them to
run the motor. So back to the point of deceleration: here you now have lack
of fuel in the bowls, causing the engine to stall. Then as it sits it
regains gas into the bowls through the left over suction and as the engine
is off it is not using any gas. Then when you start up again it will run. My
guess is, if you started it up and revved it really high for a minute, let
off the accelerator you would be mimicking the situation. Yes No?

The same issue was happening with my 68 Morris mini. I found the SU float
bowl filled with a lot of gunk. Seeing that I had recently purchased it and
had not really gone over the car, I looked around for other possible
reasons. I found one small tiny little issue. NO GAS FILTER! Well you know
what was done right away. That how ever did not resolve the issue. The fuel
pump would tend to conk out. It was an HP electronic pump, which I replaced
with a solid state Purolator unit, and works great. No more embarrassing
moments at the traffic light, which I believe Delaware has the most per
mile!

Let me know if my two cents helps you spend a few more bucks, regards

Robert L. Gannon
http://home.comcast.net/~trsix74/wsb/index.html