TR related Katrina aftermath

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR related Katrina aftermath
From: Hal Morton <halmorton@cableone.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:57:37 -0700
Listers,
   Greetings from the Hurricane Katrina devastated Mississippi Coast. Several
of you know
me from off-list correspondence- others from my occasional posts to the list. I
was off
list from August 29th, 2005 (K-day - another day that will "live in infamy" for
those of
us affected by Katrina), until a few weeks ago. Personally, there was no loss
of life or
serious injury to any of my family or anyone close to me. Homes and material
possessions
are another (long) story. Fortunately for me though, my TR250 was in storage a
little
further North than my home, and the surge water came to just below the rockers.
It seems
to be unharmed.
   My 1974 TR6 parts car didn't fare so well. It was in the back yard at my
home and was
completely submerged. Which leads to my question. When an engine gets "stuck"
from
sitting, or in this case being flooded- what is it that keeps the engine from
turning?
Rings rusted to cylinder walls? Or is the major resistance usually somewhere
else? The
engine turned by hand before the hurricane. It was about 10 days after before I
had (or
took) the time to drain the oil and water from the engine. I refilled with new
oil,
sucked the water out through the spark plug holes, sprayed WD 40 back in
through them and
the intake and exhaust ports, sucked that back out,and filled the cylinders
with oil.
What I'm really asking is, what else should I do until I get the time to
disassemble the
engine? Is there any advantage to trying to free it before then? Or should I
just leave
it alone until I can do the whole job? Thanks for any advice.  Hal Morton,
Pascagoula, MS