Re: Engine Stalls

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Stalls
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:14:29 -0800
 Steve---I will take a different approach to your stalling issue. as I
don't think the problem is in the carb, fuel pump, or such. What I
believe is happening is the result of (extended) highway driving, and
then slowing down to idle speeds, as you described. Highway driving
passes a lot of fuel thru the carbs, and can cool off the carbs and
intake manifold to a point that the fuel does not atomize properly,
IF..the hot water line thru the intake manifold is blocked. We know when
these parts are cold it takes CHOKE to make the engine happy again. At
least until normal heat soak is restored.
To confirm my suspicions, feel the intake manifold and the hot water
line/hose where it comes out of the intake manifold pipe. Do this right
after a "highway" run. If it is anything but hot to touch, yu'll need to
do whatever is necessary to restore the flow of hot water.

Dick
From: gtg124h@mail.gatech.edu(Steven Altomar

Hi all,
Ok, I've been having this problem for months now and still haven't
figured it out. After taking a high speed run for an extended period of
time (doesn't have to be very long, just a few minutes really) my engine
doesn't want to idle when I pull to a stop. I have my idle speed set
around 1000. What happens is the rev's come down to about 1000, it
quickly drops to about 400, putters a little bit, then dies. I can
immediately restart the engine and everything is fine. This will happen
for a few minutes after pulling off the interstate then it drives
perfectly normal again.
This occurrence is very reproducible and is just about guaranteed to
happen. Sometimes the engine does stall on occasion without a highway
run, but it doesn't happen often and I can't purposefully reproduce it -
it just kind of happens. ...

Anyone have any ideas on what to do? Thanks for the suggestions!
Steven Altomare